A Pretty Make Ahead Valentine Dessert Recipe
At our house, a pretty Valentine dessert is about all I do for Hubs each year. Although I think it’s important to make a loving gesture for Valentine’s day, the biggest gesture I can do for Hubs is to tell him he a small Valentine gesture is good enough. Maybe we’re lazy and too comfortable with one another, but for our home, he buys me flowers, I make a dessert, and maybe we do lunch or breakfast together and forget about cutting carbs for one day. Simple.
This recipe should chill overnight. It’s best to make this valentine’s dessert the night before, for me that’s a serious recipe perk.
The filling is so easy to make I am shy about calling it a recipe. To make the filling you will need:
1 litre of the best quality strawberry ice cream you can find
1 cup of finely chopped fresh strawberries
Cut the fresh strawberries into little pieces. Place in a mixer and add a couple scoops of ice cream. Beat on low for about two minutes until the strawberries are a bit smashed. Add the remaining ice cream and beat the mixture until it’s very well incorporated. Place the strawberry ice cream mixture into a plastic container, sealed very well and refreeze until solid. (four hours minimum)
Of course if your lucky enough to have an ice cream machine go ahead and make your own.
Sugar Cookie Hearts
Sugar cookies can be pretty meh in my opinion. They are okay but I don’t find them worthy of the calories like say a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie.
To liven them up my sugar cookies have a bit of lemon added, I either put lemon zest in the recipe, add a lemon drizzle, or add a little lemon zest to the sugar I sprinkle on top.
I think sugar cookies are at their peak when they accompany ice cream.
Feel free to make the sugar cookies a night or two before you assemble your Valentine dessert. Just keep the sugar cookies wrapped until ready to use.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/ tsp salt
zest of one lemon
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg (beaten)
2 – 3 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix flour, baking powder salt and lemon zest in a medium-size bowl.
In a large bowl cream the butter, add the sugar a bit at a time beating well between additions. Add the egg and vanilla and mix really well.
Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat until well incorporated
The amount of milk you use depends on the size of your egg. Add just enough milk to make the dough gather. Gather the dough into a ball and chill for an hour.
Once chilled roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut with large heart-shaped cookie cutters.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure to take them out before they darken. (If the cookies are too crunchy the dessert can be hard to eat with a fork).
While still hot coat each cookie in granulated sugar. Set aside.
Assembling the Valentine’s Day Dessert
Place a sugar cookie, sugar side down. Top with slightly softened ice cream.f
Place the second cookie sugar side up, forming a heart sandwich, make sure no ice cream melts down the side.t
Place all the cookies on a parchment lined pan and wrap really well with plastic wrap to seal.
Freeze until solid.
Take 1 cup of icing sugar and juice of half a lemon. Mix together, if you want the glaze to be thinner add a teaspoon of water at a time until its the right consistency.
Take the dessert out of the freezer and let sit for a few minutes to thaw a little bit. Drizzle with the lemon glaze, place some strawberries on the plate. As this dessert is cold, I like to serve it with coffee or tea.
If your willing to do something a bit harder to make, try out this Bumbleberry Pie with custard topping. It has two separate layers and is topped with pretty heart shape crusts.
Chocolate Strawberry Cake for Valentines, this cake starts with chocolate cake layered with layers of fresh strawberries and strawberry cream cheese icing.
Strawberry Ice Cream Valentines Dessert
Strawberry Ice Cream Filling Recipe
- 1 litre Strawberry ice cream Best quality you can find
- 1 cup Finely chopped fresh strawberries
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 zest of whole lemon
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 - 3 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla flavouring
Strawberry Filling Recipe
- Cut the fresh strawberriesi in small pieces. Add to mixer with two scoops ice cream.
- Beat on low for about two minutes until the strawberries are a bit smashed. Add the remaining ice cream and beat the mixture until it's very well incorporated.
- Place in a plastic container, sealed very well and refreeze until solid. (four hours minimum)
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Mix flour, baking powder salt and lemon zest
- Mix flour, baking powder salt and grated lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, add the sugar a bit at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Add the egg and vanilla, beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until incorporated.
- The amount of milk needed will change depending on the size of egg. Add just enough milk to the recipe so that the dough gathers. Once gathered chill the dough for one hour.
- Remove the chilled dough, and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a large heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Bake at 375 F for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake these cookies as you need them soft enough to eat with a fork.
- While your cookie is still hot, dip the top in white sugar. Set aside.
Assembling the Valentine Dessert
- Place a sugar cookie, sugar side down. Top with slightly softened ice cream. Place the second cookie sugar side up, forming a heart sandwich, make sure no ice cream melts down the side.
- Place all the cookies on a parchment lined pan and wrap really well with plastic wrap to seal. Freeze until solid.