Ham and Cheese Muffins Make Lunches Easier
Do I ever remember the start of the school year. The crazy busy mornings getting everyone out the door was challenging, but take out lunches for three active boys was by far the hardest and most expensive part of the school week. No microwaved leftovers or fridges at schools made it a whole different challenge. Premade easy to grab meals like these Ham and Cheese Muffins were a lifesaver for school lunches or between sport practices.
The boys had occasional premade lunch treats like puddings, but they were to add variety the small portion sizes did nothing towards making them feel full.
These muffins are huge, I make them in supersized muffin cups this recipe makes 12 of these big boy sized muffins. If you are making regular sized muffins this recipe will make 24 muffins for smaller children’s lunches.a
Ham and Cheese Muffin Recipe
Ham and Cheese Muffin Ingredients
4 cups flour
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 cups grated cheddar
2 cups cubed ham or meat ends
2 eggs beaten
2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter (or oil if you prefer)
Ham and Cheese Muffin Directions
Preheat your oven to 400 F.
Prepare the ham or whatever luncheon meat you have. To follow the recipe use a small boneless ham and dice into small cubes. Brown in a small frying on low making sure it’s cooked. My sons also liked the muffins if I substituted the ham with cut up pepperoni sticks, or meat ends from the deli.
While the ham is cooking line your muffin tins with paper cups.
In a large bowl. , add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk together to make sure the baking powder is distributed. I use a pepper grinder and add quite a bit of pepper.
Add the grated cheese and the cooked ham and mix.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
Place two slightly beaten eggs, the milk and the melted butter (oil) into the well. Mix the wet ingredients together first, then widen your stirring and incorporate the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
Place the batter equally in your muffin tins and bake at 400 F until golden.
The timing depends on how large your muffins are. Bake small muffins about 20 minutes, large muffins about 25 minutes.
Let the muffins cool completely. When I was preparing them for lunches, I put each muffin in a sandwich bag with a little pat of hard butter then froze them.
The boys would take them out of the freezer in the morning and they would be thawed by lunch time.
These make a nice change from sandwiches and have prevented me from needing to send money to school many many times. I am sure you will find these muffins very handy to have on hand.
Ham and Cheese Muffin Recipe
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 2 cups cubed ham or deli meat ends
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare the ham or whatever luncheon meat you have. To follow the recipe use a small boneless ham and dice into small cubes. Brown in a small frying on low making sure it's cooked. You can substitute the ham for other meats like pepperoni, or deli meat ends.
- Line your muffin tins.
- In a large bowl. , add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk together to make sure the baking powder is distributed. The amount of pepper can be adjusted to suit your family.
- Add the grated cheese and the cooked ham and mix.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Place two slightly beaten eggs, the milk and the melted butter (oil) into the well. Mix the wet ingredients together first. Incorporate the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Bake at 400F for about 25 minutes.