Popcorn Balls for Kids Halloween Parties
Popcorn balls are a such a well loved traditional Halloween treat. When my boys were all home I had a favorite large green fruit bowl that I would keep full of popcorn balls throughout the month of October. These wormy caramel popcorn balls are a updated version with all the fun modern party supplies we just didn’t have a generation ago.
Halloween Popcorn Ball Supplies
Start by making the popcorn balls. I used 8 cups of purchased caramel corn, but you can use regular popped popcorn if you like.
You will need 8 cups of caramel corn
3/4 bag of marshmallows
1 tbsp of butter
24 gummy worms
Halloween cupcake liners, cake pop sticks and cellophane Halloween bags (dollar store)
Printable “A special treat for Halloween with worms just for you!” labels
Butter the inside of a large bowl before adding the caramel popcorn. Place the marshmallows and tablespoon of butter into the microwave and microwave on medium in 30 second increments until the marshmallows puff up and melt. Remove from the microwave and stir. While stirring the marshmallows will quickly become a thick sauce.
Pour the melted marshmallows over the caramel corn and mix with a large buttered spoon until well coated.
Layout the paper cupcake liners.
Note: I have an anaphylactic allergy to food colouring, as the gummy worms are obviously coloured I am wearing prep gloves as a precaution. Sorry if you find it distracting but I wanted the popcorn balls to be fun for the munchkins. They did do a really great job of not getting sticky from the marshmallow.
To make the popcorn balls place about half a popcorn ball into your hand, add a gummy worm in the middle and then cover it with 1/4 of the popcorn.
Add a second gummy worm and then fill in the rest with popcorn. You want the gummy worms to show on the outside.
Squeeze hard to make sure the popcorn adheres.
Place the finished popcorn ball into a cupcake liner.
Insert a stick and place inside a cellophane bag.
These popcorn balls are about half the size of a mammoth sized ones I use to make for my boys. These ones are perfect for a little snack, and so easy to share at a Halloween party.
The little Halloween labels have space at the bottom if you want to write a name on each one. The labels are tied one with simple black thin dollar store ribbon.
My recipe made a dozen smaller popcorn balls.
Some other Halloween Treat Recipe Ideas
These are super simple cupcakes to make for Halloween.
With so many cookies, and cupcakes for Halloween, Last year I made these black cat brownies for something a bit different.
Wormy Caramel Popcorn Ball Recipe for HalloweenPrint Recipe
- 8 cups caramel corn
- ¾ bag marshmallows
- 1 tbsp butter
- 24 gummy worms
- 12 cupcake liners Halloween themed
- 12 cake pop sticks
- 12 cellophane treat bags
- Butter the inside of a large bowl, then add the caramel popcorn.
- Place the marshmallows and butter into microwave. Microwave in 30 second at a time until the marshmallows puff. Remove from the microwave and stir.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over the caramel corn and mix with a large buttered spoon until well coated.
- To make the popcorn balls place about half a popcorn ball into your hand, add a gummy worm in the middle and then cover it with 1/4 of the popcorn.
- Add a second gummy worm and then fill in the rest with popcorn. You want the gummy worms to show on the outside.
Decorating the Popcorn Balls
- Lay out the paper liners. Place the popcorn balls inside.
- Insert a cake pop stick and then place in a cellphone Halloween bag
- Cut and hole punch all the Halloween labels. Tie onto each bundle with Halloween coloured ribbon.