No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars Recipe
This no bake chocolate peanut butter bar recipe is a simple alternative to the traditional Canadian Nanaimo bar. Several years ago custard powder companies added tartrazine (food colour) which I am violently allergic to, so I came up with this peanut butter bars variation. The peanut butter adds a nice variety to the traditional recipe, the filling is very smooth, and melts on the tongue with the chocolate. It’s darn good even if I do say so myself.s
This no-bake recipe has three layers, but is very simple to put together. The distinct layers make this square really pretty to serve. I know your family will go gaga over these chocolate peanut butter bars, everyone seems to love chocolate and peanut butter.
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar Ingredients
Bottom – Oreo Coconut Layer Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
4 oz dark unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups oreo cookie crumbs
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
Middle – Peanut Butter Layer Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups icing sugar
3 tbsp milk
2 cups chocolate chips
]2 tbsp butter
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar Directions
Bottom – Oreo Coconut Layer
The bottom layer uses Oreo cookies instead of graham crackers, and peanuts instead of walnuts making for a very dense full of flavour crust.
In a medium saucepan melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate together.
Add the vanilla and egg, beat well. Then add the oreo crumbs, coconut, and chopped peanuts.t
Mix well, place in the bottom of an 8 by 8-inch pan and press firmly.
Middle – Bring on the Peanut Butter
In the bowl of a mixer add the butter and the peanut butter. Whip for at least a minute to blend them together and add the vanilla and mix.
Add the icing sugar one cup at a time. Start at a low speed and increase to high once the icing sugar is incorporated. This will keep the icing sugar from dusting everything around you. Beat well after each addition.
Judge how firm your peanut butter mixture. It should be firm enough to hold its shape. If your peanut butter mixture is crumbly and won’t hold together add milk a tablespoon at a time until it is a consistency that will hold together.
Place this layer on top of the chocolate oreo layer and press into place.
Top Layer – Chocolate Topping
Place 2 cups of chocolate chips into a bowl with two tablespoons of butter. Microwave on low until the chocolate chips are just melted, stir until soft.
Once the chocolate is melted, pour and swirl on top of the peanut butter layer.
Chill the chocolate peanut butter bars until firm, at least two hours. I left mine overnight before cutting but that is not necessary.
If you find that your top layer is difficult to cut, leave the squares on the counter for a few minutes to soften.
These no bake chocolate peanut butter bars freeze and pack really well. This is one of the recipes I made to take to Prince George for my family loved one. They were cut, wrapped in parchment paper and then frozen. When it was time to leave I took them out of the freezer and placed in a cooler, they traveled very well.
Of course, I served a few to Hubs before they hit the freezer.
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Oreo Peanut Layer
- ½ cup butter
- 4 oz dark unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups oreo crumbs
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ cup coarsely chopped peanuts
Peanut Butter Layer
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter
Oreo Peanut Layer
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate.
- Add the vanilla and egg, beat well. Then add the oreo crumbs, coconut and chopped peanuts.
Middle Peanut Butter Layer
- In the bowl of a mixer add the butter and the peanut butter. Whip for at least a minute to blend, then add the vanilla and mix.
- Add the icing sugar one cup at a time. Start at a low speed and increase to high speed once the icing sugar is incorporated. This will keep the icing sugar from dusting everything around you. Do it a cut at a time beating well between additions.
- Judge how firm your peanut butter mixture is. It should be firm, so that it holds it shape. If your peanut butter mixture is too ctumbly add a tablespoon of milk at a time until its a consistency where it will hold together.
- Place this one top of the chocolate oreo layer and press into place.
Top Chocolate Layer
- Place 2 cups of chocolate chips into a bowl, with two tablespoons of butter. Microwave on low until the chocolate melts, stir until soft and then pour and swirl on top of the peanut butter layer.
- Chill the chocolate peanut butter bars until firm. I left mine overnight but its not necessary. If you find it hard to cut the top chocolate layer leave you squares on the counter to soften a little bit before cutting.
Other No Bake Recipes to Try
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Treats
If you want a little bit a salty to add to peanut butter and chocolate flavours, this easy to make No bake chocolate covered peanut butter pretzel recipe is for you.
Payday Inspired No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
Canada doesn’t have Payday bars, so I created this Payday inspired no bake peanut butter bar recipe. I have to say it tastes pretty much identical with extra peanuts for more crunch.
No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies
A classic no bake peanut butter cookie recipe everyone loves. Coconut, oatmeal and peanut butter mixes together in this simple sweet treat.